List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Somerset Bridge
List entry Number: 1005956
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Peper Harow
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 30-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: SU 30
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Somerset Bridge, 96m south-west of Somerset Farm
Reasons for Designation
Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Medieval multi-span bridges must have been numerous throughout England, but most have been rebuilt or replaced and less than 200 examples are now known to survive. As a rare monument type largely unaltered, surviving examples and examples that retain significant medieval and post-medieval fabric are considered to be of national importance.
Somerset Bridge is well preserved despite post-medieval additions and its remains will provide evidence of medieval bridge construction. Its significance is further enhanced by its association with Waverley Abbey and a string of medieval bridges in the surrounding area, which provide a unique insight into the organisation of the medieval landscape. Deposits buried underneath the bridge will preserve valuable artefactual, ecofactual and environmental evidence, shedding light on the human and natural history of the site prior to the construction of the bridge.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
DESCRIPTION The monument includes a medieval multi-span bridge situated across the River Wey north of Weyburn Works. The bridge is built of sandstone rubble and has three semi-circular arches. The central arch is lined with single rubble slab voussoirs, while the adjacent arches have been rebuilt in sandstone ashlar. In 1826 a western brick lined arch was added, as well as approaches to both terminals. The parapet consists of a low medieval stone wall topped by a later brick wall of about 1m high, which was possibly added in 1826. The bridge has rounded cutwaters downstream and pointed cutwaters upstream, which were modified at an unknown date. Three pairs of Victorian S-ties strengthen the bridge.
The Somerset Bridge is one of a chain of medieval bridges across the River Wey between Farnham and Guildford, which are considered the work of the Cistercian monks of Waverley Abbey. Similarities in construction suggest that they were built around the same time, possibly after the floods of 1233, when many of the earlier bridges were destroyed.
The bridge is listed Grade II*.
On the upstream (north-west) and downstream (south-east) sides the scheduling follows the outlines of the bridge, including abutments and cutwaters. At the north-eastern and south-western terminals it includes a 5m margin to protect the remains of the associated road surface.
Books and journals
VCH. Surrey. Vol II. 605
D.F, Renn, The River Wey Bridges between Farnham and Guildford. In Research Volume of the Surrey Archaeological Society. No.1., (1974), 77-78
E, Jervoise, The Ancient Bridges of the South of England. London., (1930), 24-5
N., Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Surrey. Penguin Books., (1971), 212
Surrey HER 1785
National Grid Reference: SU 92177 43925
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005956 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 03:45:20.
End of official listing