Throwley Old Hall
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006114 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 16:22:01.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
- National Park:
- PEAK DISTRICT
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 11064 52520
Remains of Throwley Old Hall, 40m south east of Throwley Hall.
Reasons for Designation
Fortified houses were residences belonging to some of the richest and most powerful members of society. Their design reflects a combination of domestic and military elements. In some instances, the fortifications may be cosmetic additions to an otherwise conventional high status dwelling, giving a military aspect while remaining practically indefensible. They are associated with individuals or families of high status and their ostentatious architecture often reflects a high level of expenditure. The nature of the fortification varies, but can include moats, curtain walls, a gatehouse and other towers, gunports and crenellated parapets. Their buildings normally included a hall used as communal space for domestic and administrative purposes, kitchens, service and storage areas. In later houses the owners had separate private living apartments, these often receiving particular architectural emphasis. In common with castles, some fortified houses had outer courts beyond the main defences in which stables, brew houses, granaries and barns were located. Fortified houses were constructed in the medieval period, primarily between the 15th and 16th centuries, although evidence from earlier periods, such as the increase in the number of licences to crenellate in the reigns of Edward I and Edward II, indicates that the origins of the class can be traced further back. They are found primarily in several areas of lowland England: in upland areas they are outnumbered by structures such as bastles and tower houses which fulfilled many of the same functions. As a rare monument type, with fewer than 200 identified examples, all examples exhibiting significant surviving archaeological remains are considered of national importance. Throwley Old Hall was a high status building of the medieval period. It contains mostly domestic elements with a military intimation serving no clear defensive function. The site will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence which will hold important information about the nature and development of the site.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 11 June 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of Throwley Old Hall overlooking the Manifold Valley to the east. The upstanding remains are aligned north-east to south-west and include a rectangular plan house of two storeys with gable-lit attic and a three storey square tower with star turret to the north-east. The hall was an open, well lit residence built in local limestone of roughly squared blocks and sandstone dressings. An earlier medieval house may have existed at the site but the present building remains date back to the early 16th century.
The house was remodelled by Sampson Meverell in 1603 and a number of 17th century features are evident. Other buildings only survive at foundation level to the south east of the tower; although a small upstanding section can be seen adjacent to the tower. The Meverell family were a line of local gentry who lived at Throwley Hall from the early 13th century to the mid 17th century. The hall was complete in 1845 though records suggest it needed extensive repairs. By 1921 its condition was much like it is today.
In 1987 RCHME surveyed the hall, outbuildings and the formal garden earthworks of Throwley Old Hall. The formal grounds of the hall are marked by a boundary wall which demarcates the extent of the monument and encloses three terraces defined by scarps. Other garden features were identified outside of the monument including terraces set into the small steep valley to the east of the hall, and a number of ponds. Throwley Old Hall remains are also a Listed Building Grade II* (NHLE 1374740).
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- ST 31
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Books and journals
Emery, A, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales, 1300-1500, (2000)
Pastscape 308358 & 308420, NMR SK 15 SW 58 & NMR SK 15 SW 79.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing