Two round barrows on Heydon Hill
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006143
Date first listed: 04-Apr-1978
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006143 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 17:44:29.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish: Huish Champflower
National Grid Reference: ST 03624 27978, ST 03627 28027
Two bowl barrows 155m north east of Wood Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite partial early excavation the two bowl barrows 155m north east of Wood Farm will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 27 August 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into two areas, includes two bowl barrows situated on the upper south facing slopes of a northern spur leading from the prominent Heydon Hill. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived. The northern mound is up to 25m in diameter and 1.6m high with a Y-shaped central excavation hollow. The southern mound is 20m in diameter and 1.9m high with a central excavation hollow. Both barrows were partially excavated by F Hancock in 1896. The northern barrow contained one primary and two secondary cremations, one of which had an urn. The southern barrow had both an inner and outer retaining kerb of stones, some pottery, but no human remains were recovered. Further archaeological remains in the vicinity are the subject of a separate scheduling.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SO 482
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-188228
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing