Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006198
Date first listed: 23-Apr-1951
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006198 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 04:57:20.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Mendip (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: ST 54943 45852
Medieval gatehouse called Browne’s Gate.
Reasons for Designation
The medieval gatehouse called Browne’s Gate survives well and retains many of its original features. It was built as part of a wider scheme surrounding the Cathedral Green of Wells Cathedral and indicates the importance of the church to all aspects of daily life during this period and is indicative of the wealth of the Cathedral.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 4 August 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a medieval gatehouse situated on the north west corner of Wells Cathedral Green. The gatehouse survives as a roofed stone two storey building standing to full height with a wide arched gateway and pedestrian arches at the ground floor and a single room above. On the western face the ground floor has carved tablet decoration, a blocked central three light mullioned window to the room on the upper floor, an arched statue niche and a parapet. The east elevation is simpler with a battlemented parapet and a first floor central three light mullioned window. The north face is a plain gable with some putlog holes and an arched window. There is a flat roofed abutment containing the arched pedestrian access. The main archway has a ribbed vault with a central boss. The roof is of slate and there is a single chimney. Built in 1451 by Bishop Beckynton, the gatehouse takes its name from Richard Brown who was the tenant in 1553 of the adjoining property. In the 19th century it was also referred to as ‘The Dean’s Eye’. It originally cost 200 marks to build. The gatehouse is Listed Grade I.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SO 233
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-197005
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing