Round barrow 1435m SE of Miners' Arms Inn
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006216
Date first listed: 19-Jul-1933
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006216 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 21:08:14.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Mendip (District Authority)
Parish: Chewton Mendip
National Grid Reference: ST 55633 51528
Bowl barrow 600m south west of Red Quarr Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite some damage from past activities associated with coniferous planting the bowl barrow 600m south west of Red Quarr Farm survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 July 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a bowl barrow situated of the north facing upper slopes of a prominent ridge. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring up to 12m in diameter and 0.6m high with its surrounding quarry ditch from which the construction material was derived preserved as a buried feature. The mound has an uneven profile because it was planted with conifers in the past. Other archaeological features in the vicinity are the subject of separate schedulings.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SO 123
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-197530
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing