This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bridge at Haydon Bridge

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bridge at Haydon Bridge

List entry Number: 1006490

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Haydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Dec-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ND 392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Haydon Bridge.

Reasons for Designation

Multi span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval and early post-medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semi-circular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Medieval multi span bridges must have been numerous throughout England, but most have been rebuilt or replaced, examples that retain significant medieval and post- medieval fabric are considered to be of national importance.

Substantial portions of Haydon Bridge are well-preserved and along with the importance of the early-post medieval fabric of the bridge there is the potential for remains of the medieval bridge to be sealed within or beneath the later structure. The bridge provides insight into the development of the road system and the importance of spanning the River South Tyne.

History

See Details.

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 26 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a bridge of early post-medieval date, which spans the River South Tyne at Haydon Bridge. The bridge is constructed from squared stone blocks and has six segmental arches of which the southerly four have arch rings and the northerly two are ribbed. The piers have triangular cutwaters carried up with passing places. The bridge is topped by a parapet with chamfered coping.

The bridge dates to the late 17th century but stands on the site of a medieval bridge, first mentioned in 1309. The previous bridge at Haydon Bridge was destroyed in the flood of 1771 and the current bridge was completed in 1773. In 1806 one of the arches collapsed and consequently three of the arches were rebuilt. Haydon Bridge is a listed building Grade II.

Selected Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 1043134

National Grid Reference: NY 84333 64289

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 02:06:09.

End of official listing