Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006569
Date first listed: 05-Dec-1960
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006569 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 11:48:46.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NU 08058 38572
Buckton Dovecote, 375m north west of South Buckton House.
Reasons for Designation
Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. Whilst a relatively common monument class (1500 examples are estimated to survive out of an original population of c.25,000), most will be considered to be of national interest, although the majority will be listed rather than scheduled. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character.
Buckton Dovecote is of an uncommon tun-bellied type. The monument provides information on the keeping of doves as a source of food, an important practice during the late medieval and early post-medieval periods.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 12 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of a dovecote of late medieval/early post-medieval date, situated on gently sloping ground just north west of the village of Buckton. The dovecote is of tun-bellied type and is beehive-shaped with an internal diameter at its base of 3.6m. The dovecote has a door on its south side and the remains stand to a height of approximately 3m to 4m with the north side being substantially preserved and with portions of the other sides remaining. The dovecote has 12-13 rows of nest holes surviving, making a total of roughly 250. The dovecote was first mentioned in documentary sources in 1626. Buckton Dovecote is a listed building Grade II.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ND 113
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 6058
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing