St Mary's Chantry House
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006596
Date first listed: 28-Nov-1932
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006596 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:54:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NU1847513783
St Mary’s Chantry House, 110m north east of St Michael’s Church.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval Chantry houses were constructed as accommodation for the chaplains of Chantry chapels, the latter being built and maintained by endowment and were established for the singing of masses for the soul of the founder. Both chapels and houses were often abandoned as their communities and supporting finances declined or disappeared. Alnwick Chantry house was constructed in 1448 to serve St Mary’s Chantry chapel which was housed within the adjacent Church of St Michael and is known to have accommodated two chaplains. It is of national importance as a relatively rare survival of this type of medieval building. The building retains significant upstanding remains including a range of architectural features and will retain below ground deposits relating to its use and abandonment. It will therefore contribute greatly to our understanding of medieval religious institutions and their ancillary buildings.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 11 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of a chantry house of medieval date, situated on Walkergate, Alnwick. The chantry house is a rectangular building measuring 17.8 x 6.1m with walls about 0.9m thick. Large portions of the walls of the building are upstanding especially the south wall and west gable. The south wall contains a blocked doorway with a Tudor-type lintel and another with a pointed arch providing access to a passage, which divides the building into two unequal parts. The wall also has two blocked up windows, one of which has traces of mullions. The south wall fronts onto Walkergate and is faced in regular coursed sandstone rubble with coursed and random rubble internally. The wall stands to about 4.5m with the west gable being higher. Traces of the passage doorway also survive on the north wall, which also exhibits the remains of two windows and a fireplace.
The chantry house was granted licence in July 1448 and the building was built soon after in the ecclesiastical style of the period. The chantry which it served was dedicated to St Mary and was situated within the Church of St Michael. The chantry housed two chaplains and provided for the education of the youth of the borough and was the origin of Alnwick Grammar School. It was last used in the early 17th century when a new school was built in Pottergate.
St Mary’s Chantry House is a listed building Grade II*.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ND 59
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 7113
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing