Whitley Castle Roman fort and vicus, 280m south west of Castle Nook

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1006621

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1925

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Whitley Castle Roman fort and vicus, 280m south west of Castle Nook
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 18:15:40.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Knaresdale with Kirkhaugh

National Grid Reference: NY 69483 48728

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Roman forts served as permanent bases for auxiliary units of the Roman Army. In outline they were straight sided enclosures with rounded corners, defined by a rampart of turf, puddled clay or earth with one or more outer ditches. Some forts had separately defended, subsidiary enclosures or annexes, allowing additional storage space or for the accommodation of troops and convoys in transit. Although built and used throughout the Roman period, the majority of forts were constructed between the mid first and mid second centuries AD. Some were only used for short periods of time but others were occupied for extended periods on a more or less permanent basis. In the earlier forts, timber was used for gateways, towers and breastworks. From the beginning of the second century AD there was a gradual replacement of timber with stone. Roman forts are rare nationally. As one of a small group of Roman military monuments, which are important in representing army strategy and therefore government policy, forts are of particular significance to our understanding of the period. All Roman forts with surviving archaeological potential are considered to be nationally important. Whitley Castle Roman Fort is one of the best examples of a Roman fort with multiple ditches in England. It survives exceptionally well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the complex developmental history of the monument, its surrounding landscape and the various military campaigns in Northern England. The importance of the monument is enhanced by the survival of its associated civilian settlement; taken together they will inform our knowledge and understanding of the complex relationships between Roman and native and commercial activity in the north during this period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a Roman fort (Epiacum) and part of its civilian settlement or vicus, situated on an east facing slope overlooking the valley of the River South Tyne. The fort was sited along the Roman road known as the Maiden Way and more than one phase is represented by the remains. It is visible as a lozenge-shaped enclosure with maximum dimensions of about 140m by 115m within several parallel ramparts and ditches; on the south west side there are seven ditches, on the south east four and on the north west five. The angle towers survive as low earthworks. Within the interior of the monument there are the remains of internal buildings and features including the principia. Aerial photography indicates that the early phase of the fort was considerably smaller than the present remains, and that a bath-house lay outside its north west corner; this bath house was partially excavated in 1810. Aerial photography has also revealed the presence of part of the associated vicus surrounding the Roman fort. The monument has undergone several partial excavations revealing extensive archaeological remains; an inscription (c. AD 213) and pottery indicate occupation during the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. The monument was subject to intensive survey and analysis in 2009. The post-medieval dry-stone walls which cross the site are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

Sources: Northumberland HER: 5934 NMR: NY64NE1 PastScape Monument No:- 13725 Hodgson, J. C, History of Northumberland, part 2, vol 3. pp74-7 (1840)

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: ND 12

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing