Reasons for Designation
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally. They are important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities.
Despite reduction in the heights of its ramparts and disturbance to the interior through cultivation, the slight univallate hillfort with outworks called Hall Rings, survives comparatively well and is unusual because it does have a series of outworks and these are mainly concentrated on one side. It will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use, development, abandonment, defensive and territorial significance, agricultural practices, trade, domestic arrangements and overall landscape context.
The monument includes a slight univallate hillfort with outworks, situated on the summit of a hill overlooking the valley of a tributary to the West Looe River. The hillfort survives as an oval enclosure measuring approximately 120m long by 100m wide internally. It is defined by a rampart and largely buried ditch with an entrance to the south east into a small secondary enclosure measuring approximately 90m long by 60m wide and defined by a bank. To the south west lies an outer rampart and ditch with a third outwork approximately 250m to the south west defined by a 400m long bank and partially buried outer ditch. The earthworks are best preserved to the south west; elsewhere they are preserved largely as buried features. At its highest the inner rampart is 4.3m above the ditch, whilst the second rampart is 1.3m high.
First recorded on the Ordnance survey map of 1813, it was described Bond in 1823 and Maclauchlan in 1846.
PastScape Monument No:-434808