Reasons for Designation
Standing stones are prehistoric ritual or ceremonial monuments with dates ranging from the Late Neolithic to the end of the Bronze Age for the few excavated examples. They comprise single or paired upright orthostatic slabs, ranging from under lm to over 6m high where still erect. They are often conspicuously sited and close to other contemporary monument classes. They can be accompanied by various features: many occur in or on the edge of round barrows, and where excavated, associated subsurface features have included stone cists, stone settings, and various pits and hollows filled in with earth containing human bone, cremations, charcoal, flints, pots and pot sherds. Similar deposits have been found in excavated sockets for standing stones, which range considerably in depth. Several standing stones also bear cup and ring marks. Standing stones may have functioned as markers for routeways, territories, graves, or meeting points, but their accompanying features show they also bore a ritual function and that they form one of several ritual monument classes of their period that often contain a deposit of cremation and domestic debris as an integral component. No national survey of standing stones has been undertaken, and estimates range from 50 to 250 extant examples, widely distributed throughout England but with concentrations in Cornwall, the North Yorkshire Moors, Cumbria, Derbyshire and the Cotswolds. Standing stones are important as nationally rare monuments, with a high longevity and demonstrating the diversity of ritual practices in the Late Neolithic and Bronze Age. Despite partial early excavation, the two standing stones known as the Long Stones, remain earthfast and survive well. They do not appear to have been re-erected or moved. They will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their erection, function, associated ritual and funerary practices, territorial significance, longevity and overall landscape context.
The monument includes two standing stones, situated on prominent ridge overlooking the upper Lamorna River. The standing stones survive as two earthfast upright monoliths spaced approximately 5.5m apart. The south eastern one is 2.6m high and the other 2.3m high. They were first recorded by Borlase in 1754. In 1871 WC Borlase excavated the area between the two stones and found a rectangular pit measuring 1.8m long, 0.9m wide and 1.5m deep at right angles to the stones. Within it was disturbed earth which he interpreted as an empty grave. The standing stones are also known as the 'Sisters' or 'Triganeeris Stones'.
PastScape Monument No:-422511