This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval playing place known as Plain an Gwary, St Just

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval playing place known as Plain an Gwary, St Just

List entry Number: 1006718

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Just

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 28-Nov-1923

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 26

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The medieval playing place known as Plain an Gwary, St Just is one of the two best known in Cornwall. It is an early form of outdoor theatre and is thought to have been a place where mystery plays and various social, religious and political events were held through time. Despite undergoing extensive restoration during the 19th century it remains an important, rare and unusual monument linking communication, political, religious, economic and social events from the medieval period onwards.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval playing place known as 'Plain an Gwary' situated near the centre of St Just. The playing place survives as a level circular central area measuring approximately 38m in diameter defined by a bank measuring up to 2m high faced with stone on the outer side with two original walled entrances. The outer ditch survives as a buried feature. A small recess measuring 1m square on the western retaining wall apparently marks the position of a small corbelled chamber which was located during an archaeological excavation in 1956. Within the chamber was a range of modern household debris and pottery. The medieval playing place was restored in the mid 19th century. Within the interior are six large granite blocks with drill holes made by miners. There are numerous spellings for the name including: Plain an Gwarry; Plen an gw ary; Plain-an-Gwarry; Plan an Guare; and Plen an Gwary. Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-421566

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 37018 31421

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 06:01:27.

End of official listing