Bury Hill camp, Moorend

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1007023

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1927

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bury Hill camp, Moorend
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 11:12:34.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Winterbourne

National Grid Reference: ST 65218 79114

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Small multivallate hillforts are defined as fortified enclosures of varying shape, generally between 1 and 5ha in size and located on hilltops. They are defined by boundaries consisting of two or more lines of closely set earthworks spaced at intervals of up to 15m. These entirely surround the interior except on sites located on promontories, where cliffs may form one or more sides of the monument. Earthworks may consist of a rampart alone or of a rampart and ditch which, on many sites, are associated with counterscarp banks and internal quarry scoops. Access to the interior is generally provided by one or two entrances, either simple gaps in the earthwork or inturned passages, sometimes with guardrooms. The interior generally consists of settlement evidence including round houses, four and six post structures interpreted as raised granaries, roads, pits, gullies, hearths and a variety of scattered post and stake holes. Evidence from outside numerous examples of small multivallate hillforts suggests that extra-mural settlement was of a similar nature. Small multivallate hillforts are rare with around 100 examples recorded nationally. Most are located in the Welsh Marches and the south-west with a concentration of small monuments in the north-east. They are rare and important for understanding the nature of settlement and social organisation within the Iron Age period. Despite quarrying and partial excavation, the small multivallate hillfort 165m north east of Moorend Farm will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, longevity, territorial, social, economic and strategic significance, domestic arrangements, trade, agricultural practices, adaptive re-use and secondary occupation and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a small multivallate hillfort, situated on the summit of a plateau, directly overlooking the valley of the River Frome. The hillfort is roughly oval in plan and is defined by two closely-spaced concentric ramparts with ditches which survive differentially. The hillfort has been subject to quarrying on the west side so the defences in this area have been removed. Elsewhere the ditches survive as a buried feature or are visible as earthworks up to 3.6m deep. Both rampart banks vary, but are up to 3m high. There are three entrances, the north western one has a protective outer embankment but those to the south east and north east are simple. The interior measures up to 180m long by 102m wide and covers just under 2ha. It was subject to partial excavations in 1926. A rectangular structure on the western side was found to have been a dwelling of Romano-British date. A second similar structure was identified to the east; although it was slightly smaller and believed to be contemporary it was not excavated. To the north a platform produced a large quantity of 3rd to 4th century pottery and other finds consistent with secondary re-occupation during the Romano-British period. Pottery from the site in general was of Iron Age or Romano-British date although earlier finds of a Palaeolithic blade and a polished mace-head were made prior to the excavations in 1926.

Sources: PastScape 201258 South Gloucestershire HER 1347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: SG 79

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing