Medieval town defences, 183m south east of church of St Mary and St Lawrence, and 335m north east of Bolsover Castle

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1007053
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1946
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval town defences, 183m south east of church of St Mary and St Lawrence, and 335m north east of Bolsover Castle
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 14:07:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
County:
Derbyshire
District:
Bolsover (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Bolsover
National Grid Reference:
SK 47339 70825, SK 47588 70305

Reasons for Designation

Between the Roman and medieval periods a large number of English towns were provided with defences. These defences served to mark the limits of the town or its intended size and could be used to defend the town in time of trouble. Their symbolic role in marking out the settlement was also significant. The defences to the town would have played an important role and often comprise ditches and walls with a series of gateways. Given the role played by the town defences in one of England's major commercial towns and their contribution towards and understanding of medieval and later urban development, the town defences at Bolsover are considered to be of national importance. The medieval town defences of Bolsover are well preserved and retain significant archaeological deposits. Such deposits provide important information relating to the construction and use of the town defences and will add considerably to our knowledge and understanding of the social and economic structure of the medieval community. It will also provide information on the continuity and change in the use of the monument from the medieval period to the present day.

Details

This monument, which falls into two areas, includes the earthwork and buried remains of the medieval town defences of Bolsover situated on the north and east of the historic town. The earthworks represent the bank and ditch of the rampart which is approximately 8m in width at the base and varying between 3m and 2m in height. The 'V' shaped ditch is visible as an earthwork and varies between 6m and 7m in width and 2m to 3m in depth. Documentary sources show that the historic town of Bolsover was in existence by 1086. It was a planned, fortified town and followed the establishment of the castle in the 11th century. A market charter of 1225 to 1226 confirmed the grid of streets, lanes and tenement boundaries. The town extended to the north from the original core. The modern metalled roads, tracks and paths that cross the monument are excluded from the scheduling, however, the ground beneath them are included.

SOURCES PastScape Monument No:- 924987 (Bolsover), 316234 (earthworks) NMR:- SK47SE87 (Bolsover), SK47SE17 (earthworks)

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
DR 95
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].