Medieval site in Netherhall Park, left bank of River Ellen
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007141
Date first listed: 24-Mar-1972
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007141 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 12:05:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Allerdale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: NY 04108 36552
Moated site, 180m SSW of Netherhall.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site 180m SSW of Nether Hall is preserved as an earthwork and will contain archaeological deposits relating to its construction, use and abandonment and environmental deposits relating to the use of the surrounding landscape. The monument lies in a landscape rich in Roman and medieval monuments. These monuments include Netherall tower house situated on the opposite bank of the River Ellen, which is understood to have succeeded this moated site. Taken together the monuments provide insight into the development of fortified residences in the medieval period.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 March 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of a moated site of medieval date, situated on level ground in a bend of the River Ellen. The rectangular enclosure, which measures approximately 50m by 40m, is surrounded by a 1m high bank and a partial ditch. Partial excavation of the site in 1913 retrieved pottery dated to the 14th century. The earthworks are understood to be the remains of a moated manor house.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: CU 389
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 8990
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing