This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Liddel Strength motte and bailey castle and fortified tower house

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Liddel Strength motte and bailey castle and fortified tower house

List entry Number: 1007152

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkandrews

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 06-Jun-1924

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CU 352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles or motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle. The remains of Liddel Strength motte and baileys are representative of their period and are very well-preserved as earthworks and buried remains. The monument provides insight into the character of fortified residences in the medieval period, particularly the development from motte and bailey castles to fortified tower houses. The monument will contain archaeological deposits relating to its construction, use and abandonment.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a medieval motte and bailey castle with a double bailey and a later stone built fortified tower house all situated on a bluff overlooking a bend in the Liddel Water near its confluence with the River Esk. The steep natural slope on the northern side, down to the river, forms an integral part of the defences. At the centre of the monument is a motte with an inner bailey protected by a deep semi-circular ditch and rampart, with a second, outer bailey sited to the west defined by a deep ditch and rampart. All of these features are preserved as upstanding earthworks. The inner bailey measures approximately 48m north-south by 38m east-west, the outer bailey 85m north-south by 5m east-west and the top of the motte is around 12m in diameter. In addition, there are traces of a stone tower and a blockhouse at the gate both of which are preserved as buried foundations and low turf-covered banks. Documentary sources from 1281 indicate that the castle had a wooden hall, solars, cellars, chapel, kitchen, byre, grange and a granary. Further documentary sources from 1348 indicate that a stone tower, hall and chapel were built on the site.

SOURCES PastScape Monument No:- 11686, 975069 NMR:- NY47SW1, NY47SW6 Cumbria HER:- 33

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 40202 74151

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 06:02:38.

End of official listing