Combined viaduct and aqueduct called Treffry Viaduct

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1007279

Date first listed: 23-May-1977

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Combined viaduct and aqueduct called Treffry Viaduct
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:05:21.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanlivery

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Luxulyan

National Grid Reference: SX 05641 57187

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The engineering brilliance of the Treffry Viaduct cannot be overemphasised since unless the aqueduct had been calculated precisely the water could not flow. It formed an integral part of a complex network of leats, inclined planes and tram ways which interconnected quarries, mines, china clay works, Par Harbour, and it was intended to link these to Newquay Harbour on the North Cornish coast via Goss Moor. As a concept the combined aqueduct and viaduct was almost ahead of its time and it was the first to be built in Cornwall.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a combined viaduct and aqueduct which crosses the Par River in the steeply sided Luxulyan Valley. The combined viaduct and aqueduct survive as a granite-built ten-arched bridge with a span of approximately 200m which stands up to 27m above the valley floor. The aqueduct flows directly beneath the viaduct and the flow of water is controlled by sluice gates at either end. The track bed of the viaduct, which carried a horse drawn tramway, is produced by granite sleepers across the top of the aqueduct and is contained on either side by a high solid parapet. It was built by Joseph Treffry, one of Cornwall's greatest mining adventurers between 1839 and 1844 to carry a mineral railway from St Blazey and Par to Newquay and is the earliest granite construction of its kind in the region. The aqueduct conveys water via leats to nearby Ponts Mill and was used to provide water for the Fowey Consols mine powering the Carmears Inclined Plane by means of a waterwheel en route. Treffry himself was known locally as the 'king of Mid Cornwall' for his engineering and entrepreneurial achievements.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-431167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 1048

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing