Aldro earthworks: a cross-dyke on Hanging Grimston Wold, 350m south-east of Brown Moor Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007499
Date first listed: 15-Jan-1931
Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jan-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007499 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 20:47:42.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District: Ryedale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SE 81233 61875
Reasons for Designation
Cross-dykes are substantial linear earthworks typically between 0.2km and 1km
long and comprising one or more ditches arranged beside and parallel to one or
more banks. They generally occur in upland situations, running across ridges
and spurs. They are recognised as earthworks or as cropmarks on aerial
photographs, or as combinations of both. The evidence of excavation and
analogy with associated monuments demonstrates that their construction spans
the millennium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been re-used
later. Current information favours the view that they were used as territorial
boundary markers, probably demarcating land allotment within communities,
although they may also have been used as trackways, cattle droveways or
defensive earthworks. Cross-dykes are one of the few monument types which
illustrate how land was divided up in the prehistoric period. They are of
considerable importance for any analysis of settlement and land use in the
Bronze Age. Very few have survived to the present day and hence all well-
preserved examples are considered to be of national importance.
The cross-dyke is well-preserved over most of its length and was part of an extensive system of prehistoric dykes which has been recorded on Birdsall Wold. It has further associations with other broadly contemporary monuments of similar type in the vicinity and parallels are also known from other parts of the Wolds and from the southern edge of the North York Moors. Such associations between monuments offer important scope for the study of division of land for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.
The monument includes a short length of a cross-dyke which rises over a spur
of Hanging Grimston Wold, at the junction of Brownmoor and Birdsall Dale, and
is one of a number of prehistoric monuments in the vicinity of Aldro Farm.
The dyke comprises a 0.5m deep ditch flanked by slight earthen banks which are
more pronounced on the ridge of the spur. The overall width of the monument is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 20506
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing