Four round barrows 780m north east of Littlewood Lodge
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007563.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 14:54:22.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Bishop Burton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 95736 37644
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation and plough damage these barrows remain visible and they will retain significant information on their original form and of the burials placed within them. Information on the inter-relationship between individual barrows within the monument will be preserved, as will information on their relationship to adjacent barrows.
The monument includes four round barrows on the Yorkshire Wolds, members of a
group in this area. The north-western barrow mound is 0.3m high and 36m in
diameter; the north-eastern barrow mound is 0.5m high and 34m in diameter. The
central barrow mound of the group is 0.25m high and 16m in diameter, whilst
the southernmost barrow mound is 0.3m high and 43m in diameter. This barrow is
truncated by a hedge and the adjacent road, and only that section of it lying
north of the hedge remains identifiable, the southern portion having been
levelled by roadworks. Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch,
from which material was excavated during the construction of the monuments
surrounds each of the barrow mounds. These have become infilled over the years
but survive as buried features 4m wide. All four barrows were investigated by
the 19th century antiquarian Canon William Greenwell. No interments or
cremations were found in the two northern barrows, only flint scrapers and pot
sherds. A central grave containing a few burnt bones covered by a layer of
burnt earth was found in the central barrow. The southern barrow was found to
contain a central grave and cremation with an associated pygmy cup, beaker
sherds, and worked flint flakes.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , , Vol. 52, (1890), 52
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , , Vol. 52, (1890), 32
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , , Vol. 52, (1890), 35
Kinnes, IA and Longworth, IH, Catalogue of the excavated material in the Greenwell collection, Catalogue of Excavated Material in the Greenwell Collection, (1985)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing