This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Three bowl barrows on Birdsall Wold, 400m north-west of Vessey Pasture Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Three bowl barrows on Birdsall Wold, 400m north-west of Vessey Pasture Farm

List entry Number: 1007574

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birdsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 17-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although the barrows have been partially altered by agricultural activity, one is still visible, retaining conditions for the preservation of features within and beneath the mound, and was comparatively well-documented during a campaign of fieldwork in the 19th century. The below-ground remains of the other two barrows, including burials, will survive intact. The monument consists of three of a closely associated group of barrows which have further associations with broadly contemporary boundary earthworks on Birdsall Wold. Similar groups of monuments are also known from other parts of the Wolds and from the southern edge of the North York Moors. Such associations between monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes three bowl barrows situated on the crest of Birdsall Wold, near the head of Vessey Pasture Dale. The barrows are among a number of prehistoric monuments on Birdsall Wold. Although altered over the years by agricultural activity, the westernmost barrow is visible as a slight mound 0.3m high with a diameter of 24m. A ditch 22m in diameter, from which the material for the mound was quarried, is visible on aerial photographs; this has become infilled over the years and is now covered by the edges of the mound. The second and third barrows lie almost due east, with centres at 26m and 42m from the centre of the first and, although they have been infilled and no longer survive as earthworks, the circular quarry ditches, each 16m in diameter, have been observed by aerial photography. The western barrow was recorded and partially excavated by J R Mortimer in 1868, when central cremation burials and a six foot deep grave were uncovered. The encircling ditch was found to be 1.5m wide at the top and 1m deep. The other two barrows were not excavated and their buried features such as the ditches and grave pits will remain undisturbed.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 3 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905)
Other
Stoetz, K., RCHME unpublished survey,

National Grid Reference: SE 82188 62897

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 08:06:14.

End of official listing