Round cairn 690m south-east of Gaythorne Cottages
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007585
Date first listed: 23-Nov-1964
Date of most recent amendment: 02-Feb-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007585 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 04:12:54.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Eden (District Authority)
Parish: Crosby Ravensworth
National Grid Reference: NY 64822 11930
Reasons for Designation
Round cairns are funerary monuments covering single or multiple burials and dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000 - 700 BC). They were constructed as mounds of earth and stone rubble up to 40m in external diameter but usually considerably smaller; a kerb of edge set stones sometimes bound the edges of the mound. Burials were placed in small pits, on the old land surface or, on occasion, within a box-like structure called a cist let into the old ground surface or dug into the body of the cairn. Round cairns can occur as isolated monuments, in small groups or in large cemeteries. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provides important information on the diversity of beliefs, burial practices and social organisation in the Bronze Age. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of preservation. Despite limited antiquarian investigation the round cairn 690m south-east of Gaythorne Cottages survives well. This investigation located human and faunal remains together with pottery, and further evidence of interments and grave goods will exist within the mound and upon the old landsurface.
The monument is a round cairn located on the gently graded north-facing slope
of Gaythorne Plain 690m south-east of Gaythorne Cottages. It includes a
largely turf-covered oval mound of limestone rubble up to 1.2m high with
maximum dimensions of 18m by 14m. Limited antiquarian investigation located
the broken and scattered bones of two individuals situated upon a rock outcrop
around which the cairn had been constructed. A short distance south-east of
the mound's centre was an urn containing a cremation, and elsewhere amongst
the cairn ox bones were located.
An information sign on the monument's eastern side is excluded from the
scheduling although the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 22472
Legacy System: RSM
Charlesworth, D., AM 7, (1964)
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Bowl Barrows, (1989)
In SMR No. 1772, Clare, T, (1972)
SMR No. 1772, Cumbria SMR, 2 Round barrows on Gaythorne Plain, (1985)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing