Moated site and pond at Charnes Old Hall
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007620 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2019 at 19:52:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stafford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 78528 34004
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument at Charnes Old Hall survives well, and represents a good example of a moated site and associated pond.
The monument includes the moated site and its associated pond at Charnes Old
Hall, Eccleshall. The waterfilled north, south and east arms of the moat
measure up to 10m wide and 2m deep and are now supplied by surface drainage.
The west arm has been infilled, but is visible as a grass-covered depression
and survives as a buried feature. There is an external enclosure bank on the
west and north sides of the moat. The island which measures 50m square is now
partly occupied by a brick-built house. There are two causeways leading onto
the island, from the east and the south.
The earthworks to the north of the moated site represent a large pond, which
is now dry. The outer bank of the moat provides a retaining bank for the pond
on its southern edge. The large dam on the east side of the pond measures up
to 2m high and has been breached. There is a rectangular earthwork within the
pond which is slightly raised, and measures 30m west-east by 20m north-south.
The earthwork forms an artificial island which was probably provided for
Excluded from the scheduling are the brick-built Charnes Old Hall and
associated outbuildings, fence posts and the surfaces of all paths and
driveways but the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Johnstone, H, The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1908), 363
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing