Bowl barrow 120m south-east of Fishpool Lane Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007637.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 13:58:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 56717 67028
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited surface erosion of the monument's centre, the bowl barrow 120m south-east of Fishpool Lane Farm survives reasonably well. It is a rare survival in Cheshire of an unexcavated example of this class of monument and will retain undisturbed archaeological deposits within the mound and upon the old landsurface beneath.
The monument is a bowl barrow located 120m south-east of Fishpool Lane Farm.
It includes an earthen mound measuring 20m in diameter and up to 1m high with
an erosion hollow approximately 2m in diameter at the centre. It was
originally one of a group of seven barrows known collectively as the Seven
Lows. Of these only five remain identifiable.
A telegraph pole located on the barrow's eastern side is excluded from the
scheduling, but the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Longley, D, The Victoria History of the County of Chester: Volume I, (1987), 83
Ormerod, G, 'History of Cheshire' in History of Cheshire, , Vol. 2, (1882), 2
Darvill,T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Bowl Barrows, (1988)
FMW Report, Capstick, B., Round Barrows at Seven Lows, (1986)
Ref No. SJ 56 NE 4, Ordnance Survey, Seven Lows - 2 Round barrows and sites of 5 round barrows,
SMR No. 840/1/5, Cheshire SMR, Seven Lows, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing