Moated site 135m north of St Andrew's Church
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007676 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 15:56:07.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 26454 60820
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site of Kettleburgh Hall survives well and in good condition and is unencumbered by modern building. It will retain important archaeological information concerning its construction and function when in use. Its situation above the village and close to the church is of interest for the study of local settlement and land-holding in the medieval period.
The monument includes a moated site located to the north of the village of
Kettleburgh on a south-facing slope above the River Deben. The moated site
has overall dimensions of approximately 97m north-south by 92m east-west.
The rectangular island measures 69m east-west by 76m north-south by 69m east-
west and is surrounded by a moat between 7m and 14m wide and approximately 4m
deep, with steeply sloping sides and some evidence of chalk lining in the
lower part. The moat is water-filled by surface drainage and access to the
interior is provided by an earthen causeway approximately 4m wide across the
southern arm. The island has been identified as the site of Old Kettleburgh
In the later 13th century Kettleburgh Manor, with the advowson, was granted
to Sir William Charles by Prince Edward, later Edward I, and it was held by
the Charles family until the mid-15th century.
Excluded from the scheduling are the concrete surface of the causeway, a fence
and gate enclosing the island, a modern plank footbridge across the northern
arm of the moat, a water tank on a concrete standing and a transport container
used for housing pigs (both sited at the southern end of the island), and a
service pole with support cables, but the ground beneath all these features
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Copinger, W A, History of the Manors of Suffolk, (1909), 298-305
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 318
Farrer, E, 'East Anglian Miscellany' in Kettleburgh Hall, , Vol. 9, (1915), 81
Coad, V, AM7, (1976)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing