Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Lymball's Farm survives well and contains evidence,
including foundations, of a building which stood on the central island. It
will retain valuable archaeological information concerning the construction
and use of the site.
The monument includes a moated site, located north of a minor road in the
parish of Westleton. The moat ditch, which is approximately 3m deep and varies
from 5m to 11m in width, encloses a sub-rectangular island with maximum
internal dimensions of 61m north-south by 38m east-west, giving maximum
overall dimensions of 73m north-south by 55m east-west. The western arm of the
moat is crossed by a central causeway. The moat is filled by surface water
which enters from a field ditch at the south-eastern corner.
The surface of the island is raised slightly above the prevailing ground
level. The interior is now unoccupied but there is evidence that a house once
stood within the north-western quarter. Foundations of a building have
been noted in this area, at a depth of approximately 0.4m, and there is a
scatter of building material, including roof tile, on the surface. On the
north side of the same area, bordering the inner edge of the northern arm of
the moat, is a slight bank approximately 0.3m in height and 6m in width.
Lymball's Farm has been identified as the site of the manor variously known as
Lenwales, Lembalde's or Lymbold's of which there are records in the 13th and
The railing which borders the outer edge of the southern arm of the moat, and
defines the boundary of the constraint area on that side, is excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.