Corley camp univallate hillfort
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007718 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:35:47.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Warwickshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 30447 85094
Reasons for Designation
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes,
generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and
defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively
small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth -
fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to
their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have
generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places
of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a
rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access
to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple
gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation
indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate
features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few
examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large
storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and
square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often
represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight
univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally.
Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of
the major classes of hillfort. In other areas where the distribution is
relatively dense, for example, Wessex, Sussex, the Cotswolds and the
Chilterns, hillforts belonging to a number of different classes occur within
the same region. Examples are also recorded in eastern England, the Welsh
Marches, central and southern England. In view of the rarity of slight
univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the transition
between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities, all examples which survive
comparatively well and have potential for the recovery of further
archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance.
Corley camp survives well and is a good example of a slight univallate hillfort. Partial excavation at the site has indicated that, despite regular ploughing, the interior retains structural and artefactual evidence for the occupation of the hillfort and for the economy of its inhabitants. The rampart and ditch will retain archaeological information relating to the hillfort's construction.
The monument is situated on Burrow Hill, to the east of the village of Corley
and includes a univallate hillfort.
Corley camp is rectangular in plan with external dimensions of approximately
210m north west-south east and 190m north east-south west. The defensive
earthworks of the site include intermittent traces of a rampart and ditch and,
along the northern edge of the site, traces of a counterscarp bank. At the
north east edge of the hillfort the rampart and ditch are visible as
earthworks, measuring 10m wide and 6m wide respectively. Quarrying has
destroyed the defences at the northern corner of the site and sections of the
north east counterscarp bank. There is little surface evidence for defences
along the north west edge of the hillfort and the ground surface falls away
steeply beyond the edge of the site. The south west rampart is visible as a
slight break in slope and is thought to have been been levelled and spread by
ploughing. The ditch in the south west part of the site has been infilled but
will survive as a buried feature. The best preserved sections of the site's
defences are situated along the south east edge of the site, where the rampart
measures up to 1.8m high. An excavation at the site has indicated that the
rampart was constructed of earth and rubble and revetted with a well-built dry
stone wall and wooden tie-beams. The outer edge of the rampart was further
strengthened with timbers set at right angles to the face of the wall. An
excavation at the north west edge of the hillfort located a possible original
causeway entrance into the site's interior.
The hillfort earthworks enclose an area of approximately 3ha. The ground
surface falls considerably towards the south west and gradually becomes more
level. An excavation within the northern part of the interior in 1923
recovered traces of possible hut circles defined by collapsed stone walls.
Finds recovered from the site during excavation include large quantities of
flint flakes and fragments of pottery dated to the Iron Age and Romano-British
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Chatwin, P B, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Excavations On Corley Camp, Near Coventry, (1927), 283-4
Chatwin, P B, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Excavations On Corley Camp, Near Coventry, (1927), 285
Corley Camp, SMR 369, (1981)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing