Moated site and fishpond 200m south-east of Melton Hall
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007747
Date first listed: 21-Jan-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007747 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 08:02:40.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Melton Ross
National Grid Reference: TA 07189 10528
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Melton Hall survives well. The island is unencumbered by modern building and will retain evidence of the buildings which occupied it. The moat and fishpond also retain conditions suitable for the preservation of organic remains.
The monument includes the moated site of Ross Castle and an adjacent
The waterlogged moat which surrounds the island is 20m wide and up to 2m deep.
The raised island is 40m square and 1m high.
The fishpond lies to the west of the moated site. It is 28m long, 11m wide,
and 0.3m deep, and is connected to the western arm of the moat by a channel
3m wide and 4m long; it is also 0.3m deep. A short and very heavily silted
channel at its south-western corner connects the pond to the Skegger beck
which runs to the south of the monument.
The monument lies immediately to the south of Melton Ross. The village and
hall names are derived from the De Roos family who held land on both sides of
the Humber estuary during the medieval period, though little else is known
about the monument.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21250
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Loughlin, N, Miller, K, Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, (1979), 205
CUC BZN 1-2, CUC BZN 1-2,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing