Widdington Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007836.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 08-Aug-2020 at 03:33:30.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 54132 31778
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Widdington Hall will retain archaeological information pertaining to the occupation and development of the site. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument includes a moated site situated 100m east of Widdington church.
The original moat was rectangular in shape, measuring 115m north-south by 75m
east-west. There is no surface trace of the southern arm which has been
infilled and is preserved as a buried feature. The other arms are between 10m
and 15m in width. The eastern arm remains water-filled and the southern part
of it has been widened to form a large pond. An external bank 5m wide and 1m
high is visible on the northern arm. The island contains a house (Listed Grade
II), which dates from the 15th century and has later additions. The early
house consisted of a great hall with buttery and solar wings of which only
parts remain. Earthworks visible on the island indicate the location of the
other parts of the original house.
The name Widdington appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Widdingtuna. The
house, outbuildings, greenhouse, shed and driveway, which occupy the site at
present, are all excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath
these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)
Information from the National Archaeological Record (TL53SW11),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing