Terrier's Farm moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007838.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 00:00:58.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 62015 32482
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Terrier's Farm remains largely undisturbed and will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument includes a moated site situated on high ground 1.72km north-east
of Thaxted church. It is trapezoidal in shape and measures 60m NW-SE by a
maximum of 65m NE-SW. The arms are water-filled and are 5m wide. An external
bank, 2m wide and approximately 1m high, runs along the eastern side of the
moat. A modern brick and iron bridge, 4m wide, gives access to the island
across the north-western arm, whilst a causeway, 23m wide, crosses the north-
eastern arm. Another modern bridge of wood and iron crosses the south-western
arm. The island is raised about 0.5m above the level of the surrounding
ground and is now occupied by a mid-Georgian house with Victorian additions
and is Listed Grade II. The moat is thought to have been associated with the
family of Richard Terry in 1319.
The mid-Georgian house, outhouses, bridges, water pipe and driveway, which
occupy the site at present, are all excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath all these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing