This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site in Hall Garth Park

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site in Hall Garth Park

List entry Number: 1007845

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hornsea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Nov-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Despite limited landscaping undertaken when the monument was included in the park golf course, the moated site in Hall Garth Park survives reasonably well. The island is unencumbered by modern building and will retain evidence of the buildings which occupied it.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is the moated site at the western end of Hall Garth Park. It includes a sub-rectangular island enclosed by a dry moat and in part by an earthen bank. The moat is visible as an earthwork feature on the western, northern, and eastern sides; on the southern side it has been largely in-filled. The island measures 70m long, east-west, and 40m wide, north-south, overall. The visible arms of the moat are between 15m and 20m wide and up to 2m deep. The southern arm of the moat has been almost completely in-filled, with only a short section of the western end visible; the remainder of the arm will however survive as a buried feature. A gravel path has been laid along the bottom of the northern arm. The moat is crossed by two causeways; one at the north-east corner and the other across the eastern arm. Neither is thought to be an original crossing point. An earthen bank is visible immediately outside and adjacent to the moat's northern arm, it is 5m wide and up to 1m high. A bank is also visible immediately within the eastern arm of the moat. It is 0.4m high and 3m wide. The moat was the site of the rectory of Hornsea's parish church which, during the Middle Ages, was owned by the Abbey of Saint Mary in York. The church lies immediately to the south of the moated site. The house which stood on the island was sold during the reign of James I (1603-1625). This house had been demolished by 1787, by which time a new vicarage had been built to the south of the moated site. The site was incorporated into the town's public park in the nineteenth century, and was later used as a feature in a golf course, one of the park's facilities.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History and Directory of East Yorkshire, (1892), 430
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 113
Poulson, G, History and Antiquities of Holderness, (1841), 333

National Grid Reference: TA 20106 47722

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 06:18:51.

End of official listing