Bowl barrow 100m east of Forest Cottage
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007907
Date first listed: 12-Apr-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007907 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 18:46:30.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Waverley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 85624 44789
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite evidence of partial excavation, the bowl barrow 100m east of Forest Cottage survives comparatively well and contains archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. Its association with a second bowl barrow 100m to the south- east contributes to our understanding of the nature and scale of human occupation in this area during the Bronze Age period.
The monument includes one of two bowl barrows situated on the crest of a hill
in an area of undulating Greensand.
The barrow has a mound 26m in diameter and 2m high with a central hollow,
suggesting that the mound was once partially excavated. Surrounding the mound
is a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the
monument. This has become partially infilled over the years and is visible as
a terrace to the north of the mound, the rest surviving as a buried feature
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 23006
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal, , Vol. 79, (1987)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing