Moated site 230m south east of St Peter and St Paul's Church
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007914
Date first listed: 20-May-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007914 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 08:18:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: ST 44589 74017
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site 230m south east of St Peter and St Paul's Church survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed and later reused. The site is unusual in that it has produced evidence for industrial activity. This monument is one of a pair of contemporary sites which occur in close proximity. This pairing is likely to give an insight into the medieval occupation of this area, and the economy and fortunes of the site's inhabitants between the 12th and 16th centuries AD. It has been suggested that this is the original site of Weston Manor.
The monument includes a rectangular moated site situated 230m south east of St
Peter and St Paul's Church. The site is situated on a low river terrace
overlooking an area of Levels to the south and overlooked by higher ground to
The moated site includes a slightly raised grass-covered island, which slopes
gently from north to south and has dimensions of 75m from east to west and
62.5m from north to south, surrounded by a partially waterfilled moat.
The northern, eastern and western arms of the moat have been largely infilled,
but are visible as earthworks 8m-10m wide and up to 1.5m deep. The southern
arm of the moat survives largely in its original form and is waterfilled.
The monument appears in several 18th century records and on the Tithe Map of
1838. The site lies in close proximity to a 15th century manor house
and, as the Perceval family is known to have been resident from the late 12th
century may represent its original position.
The site is likely to have served an industrial function as iron-based slag
deposits appear in an area towards the centre of the island.
Excluded from the scheduling are all fence posts relating to the field
boundaries, although the underlying ground is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 22860
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Anderson, , Genealogical History of the House of Yvery, (1742), 421-2
Collinson, J, History of Somerset, (1791), 171-6
Suggestion of early manor inside moat,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing