Bowl barrow on Calton Pastures, 1200m west of Calton Houses

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1007994
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Jan-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow on Calton Pastures, 1200m west of Calton Houses
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 18:40:13.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Edensor
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 23379 68560

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

All the barrows on Calton Pastures have been disturbed by excavation and ploughing, but all are nevertheless reasonably well preserved and retain substantial areas of intact archaeological deposits.

Details

The monument is one of a dispersed alignment of five bowl barrows situated on Calton Pastures in the eastern gritstone moorlands of Derbyshire. It includes a sub-circular mound measuring 17m by 15m and standing c.1m high. Surrounding the barrow, but not included in the scheduling, are earthworks left by ridge and furrow ploughing. This and subsequent ploughing has slightly altered the shape of the barrow, which would originally have been more uniformly circular. A partial excavation carried out by Thomas Bateman in 1850 revealed a pit in the old land surface beneath the centre of the barrow in which was found pieces of burnt lead ore. Bateman interpreted this as evidence for a cremation burial since the other excavated barrows on Calton Pastures had all contained cremations. In addition, two flint scrapers were found after the barrow was ploughed in 1968. Together, the remains indicate a Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age date for the barrow.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
23251
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Bateman, T, Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire, (1849), 22
Bateman, T, Ten Years Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave-Hills, (1861), 64-65
Marsden, B M, The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire , (1977), 32-33

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].