Bowl barrow on Calton Pastures, 600m south-west of Calton Houses

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1007997

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jan-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow on Calton Pastures, 600m south-west of Calton Houses
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 10:58:23.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Edensor

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 24133 68065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

All the barrows on Calton Pastures have been disturbed by excavation and ploughing, but all are nevertheless reasonably well preserved and retain substantial areas of intact archaeological deposits.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is one of a dispersed alignment of five bowl barrows situated on Calton Pastures in the eastern gritstone moorlands of Derbyshire. It includes an oval mound measuring 20m by 14m which originally stood c.2m high. An excavation trench, taken across the top of the barrow from west to east, has left a scar c.0.5m deep. This may have been the work of Thomas Bateman who carried out a partial excavation of this barrow in 1850 and found pieces of a decorated pottery vessel. It may also be the barrow on Calton Pastures that was opened by Major Rooke in 1779 or 1787 and found to contain the remains of a cremation and a pottery food vessel inside a cist or stone-lined grave. A Bronze Age date has been assigned to the barrow.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 23254

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Bateman, T, Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire, (1849), 22
Bateman, T, Ten Years Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave-Hills, (1861), 64-65
Marsden, B M, The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire , (1977), 32-33

End of official listing