The Abbot's Fish House and fishponds
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008018.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 07:50:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mendip (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 45743 41728
Reasons for Designation
The Abbot's Fish House is an unusual and rare survival. The earthwork remains of the associated fishponds and their connecting drains and gullies also survive well and the riverside location provides conditions suitable for the preservation of organic and environmental remains. Historical documentation, both for the monument and for Glastonbury Abbey with which it is associated, combined with the archaeological and environmental evidence, provide an important insight into this aspect of the medieval monastic economy.
The monument includes the Abbot's Fish House and associated fishponds and
drainage gullies, all situated on level ground immediately south of the River
Brue in the area of Somerset Levels and on the bank of a former lake known as
the Meare Pool.
The Fish House, which is a Grade I Listed Building, is a medieval stone
building of rectangular plan which originally comprised two storeys. It
measures 12.4m long by 6.6m wide and is believed to have been the home and
work place of the chief fisherman of nearby Glastonbury Abbey. The ground
floor has three rooms, the central room being the largest. Access at this
level is provided to the central room from the south west side of the building
and into the northern room from the north west side. The upper storey was
destroyed by fire in the 19th century. This level had two rooms, with
access provided by a staircase on the south west side of the building.
Surrounding the Fish House and surviving as earthwork features are a series of
rectilinear fishponds, c.20m-30m long by 5m wide, combined with the network of
drains and gullies which interconnect. Although the earthworks become less
distinct on the west side of the field, features are still visible, the higher
ground possibly having supported ancillary buildings and fields.
The development of this site is closely connected with that of nearby
Glastonbury Abbey. The Fish House itself is believed to have been constructed
in 1322-1335 with the purpose of supplying fish to the abbey. The ponds may,
however, be earlier than this; the Domesday Survey of 1086, for example,
records the presence of three fisheries and ten fishermen at Meare.
All field walls and fences are excluded from the scheduling but the ground
beneath all these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Blake, J, 'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology Society' in Notes on the History of Meare , (1902), 38-44
Blake, J, 'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology Society' in Notes on the History of Meare , (1902), 41
Turner, C J, 'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology Society' in Excursion To Meare, , Vol. 26, (1880), 60-62
Warre, F , 'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology Society' in Abbots' Fish House Meare, , Vol. 9, (1859), 32
Plan of fishponds, Leach, PJ, Earthworks at Meare, (1984)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing