This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Willy Howe round barrow

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Willy Howe round barrow

List entry Number: 1008040

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Burton Fleming

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Thwing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 25-May-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21190

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite partial excavation this barrow survives reasonably well. Excavations to date have been inconclusive and the unexcavated parts will retain significant information on the form, manner and duration of its usage.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a prehistoric round barrow on the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow mound is 15m high, 40m wide east-west and 50m long, north-south. The mound has a visible central hollow 10m deep, 25m long and 7m wide, the result of 19th century excavation. During the excavation earth was cast out from the northern end of the mound to form an access ramp leading to the mound. This is 7m long and 5m wide. The barrow mound is surrounded by a heavily silted ditch visible as a depression 20m wide and up to 1.5m deep. The mound was excavated twice in the 19th century. Lord Londesborough excavated the mound in 1857; he found nothing and left a stone slab in the mound as a record of his investigations. Canon Greenwell, the antiquarian, investigated the site in 1887. He found an empty grave during his excavations and, since it appeared never to have been disturbed, he suggested that the barrow was erected as a cenotaph. It has also been suggested that the mound was reused in the early Middle Ages as a Thing mound, an earthen mound used for meetings and public debate. The surface of the metalled farm track which falls within the area of the scheduling is excluded from it, though the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire: The East Riding, (1974), 324
Bonsall, W, Gazetteer of Mesolithic and Upper Palaeolithic sites, (1977), 350
Greenwell, W , British Barrows, (1877), 227
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 23-26
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 357
Sheahan, , Whellan, , History and Topography of York And The East Riding, (1856), 490
Wright, , Essays on Archaeological Subjects, (1861), 1, 7
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , , Vol. 43, (1871), 552
Greenwell, W, 'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , , Vol. 52, (1890), 22-4
Kinnes, I A, 'Proceedings of the Royal Archaeological Institute' in Willy Howe, (1984), 36

National Grid Reference: TA 06162 72350

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 03:48:18.

End of official listing