Moated site at North Park Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008047.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Feb-2020 at 20:13:36.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 21802 31152
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at North Park Farm survives well and is historically well documented. Organic material will be preserved within the silted moat and structural and artefactual evidence will be preserved on the island which has remained undisturbed for at least three hundred years.
The monument at North Park Farm is a moated site built into a natural south-
facing slope and it includes a rectangular platform enclosed by a single dry
moat which has water channels connected to it.
The island measures 50m east-west and 30m north-south. The northern arm of
the moat is 11m wide and 3.5m to 4m deep. The eastern and western arms are 10m
wide and 3m deep. The southern arm is 10m wide and 1.5m deep. An earthen bank
lies immediately outside the moat on its south and east sides: this bank is 1m
high and 5m wide.
At the north western corner of the moat an associated channel runs northwards
from the moat. It is 25m long, 6m wide and up to 1m deep. To the west of the
moat another channel runs in a westerly direction for 40m. It is 5m wide and
0.75m deep. This feature is considered either to be a silted fishpond which
drained into the moat or the southern arm of a second moated enclosure.
Traces of medieval agriculture, evidenced by ridge and furrow, are visible to
the south west of the moat. These do not survive sufficiently well to merit
their inclusion in the scheduling.
The moated site was originally owned by the Crown. It was dug between 1334 and
1335. During the 14th century the island had a number of buildings upon it
including a hall, chapel, kitchen and stable.
A brick shed which stands within the northern part of the site is excluded
from the scheduling but the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History and Directory of East Yorkshire, (1892), 394
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 110-111
Loughlin, N, Miller, K, Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, (1979), 51
'History of the Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works, , Vol. 2, (1963), 905
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing