Long Stones long barrow 150m north of Beckhampton House
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008126
Date first listed: 14-Apr-1932
Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008126 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 18:56:29.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 08705 69145
Reasons for Designation
A small number of areas in southern England appear to have acted as foci for
ceremonial and ritual activity during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age
periods. Two of the best known and earliest recognised, with references in the
17th century, are around Avebury and Stonehenge, now jointly designated as a
World Heritage Site. In the Avebury area, the henge monument itself, the West
Kennet Avenue, the Sanctuary, West Kennet long barrow, Windmill Hill
causewayed enclosure and the enigmatic Silbury Hill are well-known. Whilst the
other Neolithic long barrows, the many Bronze Age round barrows and other
associated sites are less well-known, together they define one of the most
rich and varied areas of Neolithic and Bronze Age ceremonial and ritual
monuments in the country. Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone
mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early
and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places
of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest
field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where
investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often
with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment.
Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument
preceding the barrow and it is probable that long barrows acted as important
ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some
500 long barrows are recorded in England of which fifteen survive in the
Avebury area. These represent an important group for understanding the
historical context within which Avebury developed during the Late Neolithic
and Early Bronze Age periods; all are considered to be worthy of protection.
The Long Stones long barrow is a well preserved example of its class despite having been partially excavated and disturbed by cultivation. The barrow mound survives to its original height and the ditches can be observed as partially infilled, but distinct, earthworks. The barrow will contain both archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the construction and function of the monument, as well as evidence of the former land use in this part of the Avebury region. Along with the nearby South Street long barrow, this monument provided an important focus for Neolithic and later funerary activity including the development of the nearby Beckhampton Bronze Age round barrow cemetery.
The monument includes a Neolithic long barrow aligned north east to south west
and situated on a gentle east-facing slope, 300m south west of the South
Street long barrow.
The barrow mound has been slightly disturbed by cultivation in the past but
survives as an impressive earthwork which measures 84m long and 35m wide. The
mound stands up to 6m high and is flanked to the north and south by quarry
ditches which provided material for the construction of the mound. These have
become partially infilled over the years owing to cultivation but survive as
slight earthworks c.24m wide and 84m long with a depth of c.0.6m.
The barrow was partially excavated by Merewether between 1820 and 1850. He
discovered evidence of a Bronze Age cremation burial contained in a 'Deverel-
Rimbury' style pottery urn and a piece of bronze which was probably part of a
dagger. The urn is now located in the Devizes Museum.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21734
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1957)
SU 06 NE 107, CAO, Mutilated Long Barrow, (1989)
SU 06 NE 151, CAO, Secondary LBA Cremation, (1989)
SU 06 NE 75, RCHM(E), Avebury 17, (1973)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing