Bowl barrow 700m north of Betton Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008128
Date first listed: 05-Aug-1933
Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008128 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 03:56:17.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District: Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish: East Ayton
National Grid Reference: SE 99848 86113
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although this barrow has been partially excavated and altered by agricultural activity it survives reasonably well. Further evidence of the structure of the mound, the surrounding ditch and burials will be preserved.
The monument includes a Bronze Age bowl barrow. The barrow mound is 23m in
diameter and up to 1.2m high. The barrow is crossed by a field boundary; to
the west of this boundary the mound has been affected by agricultural activity
and is only 0.4m high. To the east of the boundary the mound is 1.2m high.
Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from which material was
excavated during the construction of the monument surrounds the barrow mound.
This has become in-filled over the years but survives as a buried feature 4m
The barrow was partially excavated by Lord Conyngham, a 19th century
antiquarian. He found a cremation and two flint arrow heads.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 23806
Legacy System: RSM
04219, North Yorkshire SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing