Bowl barrow 100m east of Moor House Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008134.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2021 at 22:25:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Scarborough (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 02519 86015
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although this barrow has been partially excavated it survives reasonably well. Further evidence of the structure of the mound, the surrounding ditch and burials will survive.
The monument includes a Bronze Age bowl barrow, a member of a wider group of
similar monuments in this area of the North Yorkshire moors. The barrow mound
is 1.5m high and 20m in diameter. Although no longer visible at ground
level, a ditch, from which material was excavated during the construction of
the monument surrounds the barrow mound. This has become in-filled over the
years but survives as a buried feature 4m wide.
The barrow mound was excavated in 1848 by the antiquarian Lord Conyngham; he
found a triangular cist which contained two cremation urns. The mound has a
depression in its summit which marks the site of Conyngham's excavation. A
radio mast on a 0.5m square concrete base has been erected at the south-east
edge of the mound and concrete settings 0.3m square for bracing cables have
been inserted into the east and north-west edges of the mound. All are
excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
9102.03, North Yorkshire SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing