Clapton Hall moated site and fishpond
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008140.pdf
This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 04:57:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- Great Dunmow
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 62610 20567
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Clapton Hall is unusual in shape and in its use of the stream as a moat arm. It survives well and will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site.
The monument at Clapton Hall includes a stirrup-shaped moated site and
fishpond situated on an east facing slope overlooking the River Chelmer, 2.5km
south of Great Dunmow church. The moated site measures 72m NE-SW by 60m NW-SE.
The arms are now dry and measure a maximum of 11m in width and approximately
2m in depth. The north-western arm was constructed to incorporate a stream
which has now dried up. The surface of the island is uneven indicating the
presence of buried remains of earlier structures. 20m north of the moated site
is a sub-rectangular shaped fishpond which was once connected to the moat by
the stream. It is now dry and measures 70m NE-SW by 32m NW-SE and is
approximately 1m deep.
The name Clapton comes from the family of William de Clopton who is first
mentioned in 1345.
The small area of concrete yard that extends into the area of the
scheduling behind the present Clapton Hall is excluded from the scheduling,
though the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
SMR NO: 1233, Information from SMR,
End of official listing