Whitley House moated site
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008190
Date first listed: 12-Jan-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008190 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2019 at 07:46:36.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Braintree (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TL 72210 41488
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Whitley House is well preserved and will retain archaeological information relating to the construction and occupation of the site. The waterfilled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument at Whitley House includes a moated site situated on a north-
facing slope overlooking the River Stour, 1.5km north-east of Birdbrook
Church. The moated site is rectangular in shape and measures 87m north-south
by a maximum of 85m east-west. The arms are water-filled and are between 6m
and 13m in width. A causeway, 20m wide, gives access to the island across the
south-western corner of the moat. The island is flat and has some building
rubble scattered on the western side which is considered to represent the
remains of the earlier house. The site is referred to as "Hwitele" in the 13th
The modern house, manhole and related drainage system which are situated on
the island, near the causeway, are excluded from the scheduling although the
ground beneath that part of the house which sits over the causeway is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 20739
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing