Moat and hut circle at Glen Parva
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008259 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 14:03:00.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Blaby (District Authority)
- Glen Parva
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 57601 98069
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Glen Parva survives well with below ground remains confirmed by limited excavations. Evidence of prehistoric occupation was also discovered.
The monument at Glen Parva is situated on the north bank of the River Sence to
the south of Leicester and includes a medieval moated site and below ground
prehistoric occupation features.
The moated site is dry and measures approximately 50m x 38m in overall
dimensions including an outer bank 6m wide and 1m high situated on the
southern side. The moat arms are up to 1.5m deep and 8m wide. In the centre
of the moat island is a 1.5m high pillar of mortared granite which is the
remains of a wall of unknown date. The earthworks of close boundaries to the
west do not survive well and are not included in the scheduling. Limited
excavation of the northern part of the moat island revealed medieval features,
mostly mud walls in a rectangular plan. Also found were a cobbled area, an
oven and a series of post holes which define a circular hut. Pottery found on
the site has shown these latter features to be of Bronze Age date.
The adjacent Manor Restaurant is a Grade II Listed Building and is outside the
area of the scheduling. It dates from the late 16th or early 17th century.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hartley, R F, The Medieval Earthworks of Central Leicestershire, (1989), 57, 64
Liddle, P, Leicestershire Archaeology: The Present State of Knowledge, (1982), 18-19
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing