Moated site at Ranton Hall Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008290 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 11:21:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stafford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 84696 24402
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Ranton Hall Farm survives well and represents a good example of its type. The moated island will retain structural and artefactual evidence of the buildings that originally occupied the island and evidence for the economy of its inhabitants.
The monument includes a rectangular moated site at Ranton Hall Farm, Ranton.
The moated island measures approximately 85m NW-SE by 55m SW-NE. It is
slightly elevated and is partly occupied by a modern brick-built farmhouse.
The moat is up to 10m wide and is mainly dry although the northern corner is
waterfilled. The south-western arm has been infilled but will survive as a
buried feature, partly overlain by agricultural buildings. The western and
southern corners of the moat have been infilled but remain visible on the
ground surface as shallow depressions. There is, today, a low causeway across
the south-eastern arm of the moat but the location of the original entrance is
The brick-built farmhouse, its outbuildings and associated agricultural
buildings, the telegraph poles and cable supports, all fence posts and the
surfaces of all paths and driveways are excluded from the scheduling but the
ground beneath all these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hammer, M E, 'Staffordshire Archaeology' in The Moated Sites of Staffordshire, , Vol. 3, (1974), 34
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing