Moated site 100m north of Parkhouse Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008292 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:46:03.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 00996 41988
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite its overgrown state this moated site survives reasonably well. Evidence of buildings will survive on the island and artefactual and organic remains will be preserved in the silted moat.
The monument is a moated site north of Parkhouse Farm, one of a pair of moats
at the farm. It includes a central sub-rectangular raised platform measuring
40m by 35m. This island is surrounded by a heavily silted moat 10m-15m wide
and 1m to 1.5m deep. Access to the island is now afforded by an earthen
causeway across the north-eastern arm of the moat, although this is not
thought to be original.
The moat is thought to have been constructed in the 16th century after Henry
VIII extended the Leconfield Deer Park into the parish, and may be the site of
a brick lodge, 'made for a house of pleasure', which Leland recorded in 1577.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of the East Riding of Yorkshire, (1979), 128
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 114
Loughlin, N, Miller, K, Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, (1979), 26
Toulmin-Smith, L, John Leland's Itinerary, (1964), 46
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing