Round barrow 350m east of Callis Wold Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008380.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2021 at 19:58:16.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Bishop Wilton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 83464 55958
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation and plough damage this barrow retains significant information on the manner and duration of its usage.
The monument includes the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow on Callis Wold,
one of a number of similar barrows in this area. The barrow mound is rounded
and has been spread by ploughing, standing to a height of 1m and with a
diameter of 42m. Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from
which material was excavated during the construction of the monument,
surrounds the barrow mound. This has become in-filled over the years but
survives as a buried feature about 3m wide. The barrow mound was partially
excavated by Mortimer in 1867, when two inhumations, one cremation, four
beakers and numerous worked flints and pot sherds were found.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Clarke, D L, The Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, (1970), 1253-5
Clarke, D L, The Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, (1970), 506
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 158-159
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 158-159
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing