Round barrow 250m north east of Painsthorpe Wold Cottages
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008417 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 02:35:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Kirby Underdale
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 82704 58818
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation this barrow survives reasonably well and will retain significant evidence on its original construction and the burials placed within it.
The monument includes a Bronze Age round barrow situated on Painsthorpe Wold.
The barrow mound has a diameter of 25m and survives to a height of 0.5m. The
mound has an uneven profile and falls away steeply on its western side.
Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from which material was
excavated during the construction of the monument, surrounds the barrow mound.
This has become in-filled over the years, but survives as a buried feature 3m
wide. This barrow is part of a wider group in the area and, like many of the
other nearby monuments, it was investigated by J R Mortimer in 1867. A circle
of flat stones was found beneath the mound with two inhumations on it. A
cremation, worked flints and a number of pot sherds were also recovered from
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Clarke, D L, The Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, (1970), 508
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 119-120
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 119
4234, Humberside SMR (4234),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing