Round barrow 300m north-east of farm on Garrowby Hill Top
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008437.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 05:10:50.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Kirby Underdale
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 80849 56969
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation and the evident reduction in size of the barrow mound by ploughing, this monument will retain significant archaeological remains within and beneath the surviving mound and in the ditch.
The monument includes a prehistoric round barrow, one of a group in this area
of the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow survives as a visible mound 1m high and
4.5m north-south by 7m east to west. Originally it would have been circular
with a diameter of 13m, but has been reduced to its present shape by
ploughing. A ditch from which material was excavated during the construction
of the monument surrounds the barrow mound. This has become in-filled over the
years but survives as a buried feature 3m wide. The barrow was partially
excavated in 1867 by the antiquarian J R Mortimer. His investigations
recovered two inhumations, and fragments of pottery and flint flakes which
were grave goods or votive deposits.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 142-3
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 142
14602, Humberside SMR (14602),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing