Round barrow 200m east of farm on Garrowby Hill Top
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008438
Date first listed: 09-Sep-1958
Date of most recent amendment: 01-Jun-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008438 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 00:09:06.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Kirby Underdale
National Grid Reference: SE 80840 56791
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation this barrow survives reasonably well and will retain significant information on its original construction and the burials placed within it.
The monument includes a large round barrow situated on Garrowby Wold, one of a
number of similar monuments in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow
mound stands to a height of 2m and is 22m in diameter. It survives in a
generally good condition, though its surface is pitted in places. Although no
longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from which material was excavated
during the construction of the barrow mound, surrounds the barrow mound. This
has become in-filled over the years but survives as a buried feature 4.5m
wide. The barrow was subject to antiquarian investigations in 1876, when the
mound was opened by J R Mortimer. This work recovered four inhumations and
associated pottery vessels.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21081
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 141-2
14603, Humberside SMR (14603),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing