This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 312m south west of Dobbs Corner

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 312m south west of Dobbs Corner

List entry Number: 1008507

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kesgrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Feb-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21264

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The two bowl barrows 312m south west of Dobbs Corner survive relatively well; although a trench has been dug into one of the mounds, the scale of this disturbance is limited in relation to the earthwork as a whole. Evidence concerning the construction of the barrows, the relationship between them and the manner and duration of their use, as well as of the local environment, at the time of and prior to their construction, will be contained in the mounds and in the soils preserved beneath them. The two barrows are situated within what was once a small cemetery, including four others which are documented as a result of excavation. The cemetery, in turn, formed part of a much larger group of barrows, others of which survive as visible monuments in the parishes of Brightwell, Foxhall and Martlesham and Waldringfield; together these will provide evidence of the nature and extent of Bronze Age activities in the area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two contiguous bowl barrows, situated in a belt of wooded heathland to the west of Dobbs Lane. Each of the barrows is visible as an earthen mound covering an area c.12m in diameter. The mounds stand to heights of 1m and 0.8m respectively and the combined length of the two along a north east - south west axis is approximately 24m. A poorly defined hollow in the surface of the north eastern mound marks the site of a trench approximately 1.5m wide, dug since 1921 when the earliest description of the barrow was published. The barrows are the only two which survive of a closely spaced group of six, the other four of which were excavated in 1919. One of those four, a mound approximately 6m in diameter, contained an Anglo-Saxon cremation burial but the other three were of Bronze Age date.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reid Moir, J, 'J Ipswich Field Club' in The Excavation of Two Tumuli on Brightwell Heath, Suffolk, , Vol. 6, (1921), 1-14
Other
Coad, V J, AM7 (1978), (1978)

National Grid Reference: TM 23652 45039

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2018 at 07:37:06.

End of official listing